Have you worked out my next experiment? – If you said an egg and healthy fat fast, you were correct!
What is an egg & fat fast?
So they say if you love eggs (and I really do) that once you have done an egg fast that this will surely change! You all know how much I love experiments and research on efforts to make the body healthier and to see how it runs on different ways of living (healthy options of course). Now since I started the Keto diet back in September 2016 it has done wonders for my body and especially my joint and back pain (especially my autoimmune disease Ankylosing Spondylitis which is spinal arthritis). I feel younger, more energised, more focused, happier, healthier and less bloated from junk food, the list goes on. But recently so many people have told me they have hit a stall on keto, yep regarding weight loss the main reason people start the Ketogenic ‘diet’ and to fix their stalls or to get back on the keto wagon after a binge weekend of junk food they have done the Egg Fast. At first I had no idea what they were talking about but of course I was interested as I love fasting so I have spent the last 3 weeks investigating this ‘Egg Fast’ originally created by Jimmy Moore. No I do like doing healthy experiments when asked by my keto followers BUT I must do my research and look very much into it first! Which I have.
The Egg Fast became popular after Jimmy Moore of Livin La Vida Low Carb lost 12.2 kilos / 27 pounds on a month long egg fast diet plan. It’s a fasting diet where the body only consumes eggs and good fats for a short period of days apparently resulting in putting the body into ketosis quicker while also making that person loose a large amount of weight.
Jimmy created these 10 rules which I will be tweaking just a little (my comments in bold):
- Eggs were the primary source of protein.
- 1 tablespoon of grass-fed butter, or some other healthy fat source, was added for each egg he ate. I’m going to only eat 1 table spoon of butter per 2 eggs that I eat.
- He ate at least 1 egg within 30 minutes of waking up. I will not be doing this as I wont to keep my routine of the 16:8 Fast, so I will have my first egg meal at 11.30am like normal.
- He spaced his meals about 3 hours apart, but never went longer than 5 hours without eating something. I will be eating between my normal eating window of 11.30am – 7pm.
- If not hungry, he ate a 1 egg snack instead of a meal.
- He also allowed himself up to 1 ounce / 28 grams of hard cheese per egg.
- He never ate fewer than 6 eggs per day. Wow
- Eggs were local, pastured eggs, heavy on omega-3 and Vitamin D.
- He stopped eating 3 hours before going to bed.
- He allowed himself a maximum of 3 diet sodas per day, and aimed at drinking only 1 or less. Why? Is this so the bubbles in the soda settled his stomach or the gas from the drink made him feel full? I will never drink diet soda, but I might try a sparkling mineral water if I need the full feeling. But generally I will just drink water like I normally do.
- Small amounts of fresh herbs, hot sauce, no carb sweeteners (stevia), and spices will be allowed – as long as they are less than 1g net carbs per serving, not to exceed 5g net carbs per day.
My shopping list for the fast:
- 34 Free range eggs
- 1 x 1 kilo block of cheddar/tasty cheese. The already packed shredded tasty cheese has caking agents in it so I would rather buy the block and grate my own.
- 1 kilo of salted butter (I will buy Woolworth’s home brand – its from grass fed cows).
- 500g Cream Cheese – again I will buy the Woolworth’s brand c ream cheese.
- Organic coconut oil – extra virgin
- organic stevia
- Chili flakes
- cinnamon powder
- organic hot chili sauce
- Pink Himalayan salt
- cracked pepper
I will document and upload a video every night of how each egg fast day goes, what I eat, how many calories and how Im feeling so you can experience the fast through me – this is why I am also doing it, for those followers who have wondered will it work and how does one feel on the fast and how to you do an egg fast – so dont forget to subscribe to my you tube channel and keep an eye out for the videos each night from May 1st 2017.
When am I starting the egg fast. I will start the egg fast on Monday the 1st of May and do it for 4 days. (depending on my health I may do it for longer if I am feeling OK)
Do I think I will make the 4 days: Im very excited to try this fast BUT I am worried about my electrolytes getting too low and becoming ill on day 3 as I have seen many videos of people pulling out by day 3 due to vomiting, lack of energy, blurred vision and migraines so I will keep an eye on my health and as I tell my followers ‘listen to your body’ if my body is showing any of these ill health sign I will stop immediately.
Can anyone do the egg fast?: Im going to say know. This, like any fast or diet needs to be researched by that person ALOT before trying. You need to know the effects and outcome of any experiment before jumping right in. Also I suggest you be on keto or a low carb diet for at least 1 month before you do an egg fast as is a very strict way of eating which contains no sugars, no carbs just protein and fat so it may come to a shock to those people on a normal standard diet. Also I would not advise this fast to any pregnant women, breast feeding woman, or children under 15 – people with medical conditions please speak to a Dr first.
Why eggs and fat?: Once you become fat-adapted, your body uses your fat stores and ketones for energy and you won’t need to eat extra protein to spare muscle mass. This doesn’t mean you should avoid protein – your protein intake should be adequate and based on your individual needs. Although your body still needs some glucose, it can produce it on demand via gluconeogenesis.
Egg & Fat Fast is a type of fasting often recommended for those who are already keto-adapted and reach a weight loss plateau. The idea is that you eat about 80-90% of your calories from fat while keeping your calorie intake low, up to 1000-1200 kcal a day. This fast should be followed for no more than 3-5 days. If you follow fat fast for a longer period, you run the risk of getting your body into starvation mode, lose muscles and get deficient in essential nutrients.
What happens after day 4? There is a transition phase once you end the egg fast, you need to slowly ease your body back into eating LCHF food not jumping back into a binge eating diet which can make you very sick. More info on that here: http://ketogenicwoman.com/transition-egg-fast-back-lchf/
I have also blogged a “My 4 Day Egg Fast Diary” click here to read it..