I know we are not in Winter as of yet, but I always find soups fill me up and I stay full for a long time. I love making big batches of soup, its a great meal prep, its healthy and its a great lunch for work for the week. I like to add coconut oil or butter to my soup to make sure my fat intake is up there to.
Why is chicken soup good for the body? The salt in the soup and its warmth soothes the body and keeps our sodium levels up. A study claimed to have shown that it also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can relieve congestion too especially when you have a cold. Soups are packed with lots of whole foods and great nutrients and its very easy to make.
Makes 7 meals
- 1 bunch of celery
- 2L of water (you can use a low carb liquid chicken stock if its in your macros)
- 1.5 kilos of chicken breast
- 3 x carrots sliced
- 1 Tbl of garlic minced
- 1 Tbl of Ginger minced
- Salt and pepper as much as you like
- 200g baby spinach
- 2 x zucchini
- 1 x Tbl Chilli flakes
- 1 x Tbl Masterfoods Roast veg seasoning
- 1 x Tbl dried mixed herbs
- 1 x brown onion
- Boil the 2L of water into a large cooking pot
- Slice up all the vegetables
- Add the minced garlic and ginger
- Add the chicken into the boiling pot and add pepper and pink salt
- Add all sliced vegetables (except for the baby spinach)
- Boil ingredients on high-medium for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes remove the chicken breast from the pot and shred the chicken into pieces
- Place shredded chicken back into the pot and cook on high for 15 minutes
- Always keep the lid on the pot to keep the moisture in
- Add more salt and pepper
- After 45 minutes the soup is done!
- Eat straight away or wait for the soup to cool to make up lunches to put in containers freeze. Great meal prep!
- I always add the spinach to the soup or meal at the end. Spinach shrinks too much but I enjoy it floating in the hot soup. If Im meal prepping I will put 1 handful of baby spinach in each container and freeze it. Its still tastes amazing.
- **Add 1 teaspoon of butter or coconut oil to each meal to up your fats.