It was only recently that I realised that linseeds and flaxseeds were the same thing. DOH! As I had been looking for flaxseeds everywhere! Anyway..
You can watch this vlog on my you tube channel here.
Lately I had been doing so much reading about why these little super foods are so good for us. Here are a few reasons why:
- They are high in fiber but low in carbs (great for keto!)
- Helps create better hair and skin
- Weight loss
- Lowers cholesterol
- They are gluten Free
- Great for the digestive system
- High in good fats Omega 3 (awesome for keto!)
…and there’s so much more..
Something else I found interesting, as flaxseeds are high in fiber and tiny little super food seeds, you dont really get the whole benefits from them if you are just eating them whole as they will come out how they went in to the body. So for best results make sure you ground up the seeds before you use them in a meal as the body will absorb them much better through the digestive system that way.
So we all love desserts but many muffins or mug cakes call for alot of almond meal, oils, cocoa powder, dark chocolate etc so I was happy to make an actually really healthy treat that pretty much contains no carbs and high fiber! Here is my flaxseed & cinnamon muffin made in 60 seconds.
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of stevia (optional)
- 1/4 of ground flaxseeds/linseeds
- 1 tsp of butter
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Ground the 1/4 cup of flaxseeds in a food processor
- Add ground flaxseed to a microwave safe mug or ramekin
- In the ramekin also add the baking powder, stevia, cinnamon, butter and the egg.
- Mix all the ingredients together really well.
- place remekin/mug in the microwave (mine is a 1100 watt) for 60 seconds to cook!
- Remove from microwave – careful as mug will be hot
- Tip out onto a plate or eat warm from the mug. DONE! Very Easy!
- You can add whipped thickened cream or butter ontop if you would like to add a bit more flavour and moisture.
This recipe is very bland, especially to those who love chocolate keto desserts. If you love cinnamon you can always add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon for a stronger flavour (but i dont like it that much). I was happy with this serving, it was very filling and I took my time enjoying it with some strawberries.
If you are after a chocolate cake this is not it. But you could always add 1 teaspoon of organic cocoa powder to the mix to give you a chocolate flavour while you also then can also enjoy the benefits of the flaxseeds.