Ahhh chocolate – the fixer of all my problems.. ok not really but come on it makes a bad day turn good most days. I love chocolate but as you know on the keto diet we must stay away from sugar and those naughty blood sugar spiking ingredients. BUT what if you wanted to make a yummy dessert for the kids or to take to a friends house for a BBQ to show that healthy is not always boring! Well I give you my Dark Chocolate, Almond & Coconut Smash!
A thin layer of dark chocolate, with scattered toasted almonds and (my fav) coconut chips on top!
CAUTION: This treat does contain a small amount sugar only because I am going to use a 100g 90% Lindt dark chocolate block as the thin chocolate base. (in this case the grocery store was sold out of Lindt so I had to grab the next best thing The Cadbury 86% dark chocolate 100g block)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flakes
- 100 grams dark chocolate I prefer 90% Lindt (today I had to use 86% dark Cadbury chocolate)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbls of normal butter
- 1 tsp organic almond spread
- 10 drops liquid stevia (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Turn on the grill and in a foiled tray place in all the almonds and half of the coconut flakes required, mixing them around occasionally for about 5-8 minutes
- Lightly toast the almonds and coconut flakes until toasted NOT BURNT
- In a pot on the stove boil some water – once boiled, turn down to simmer and place a glass, heat proof mixing bowl over the top (dont let it touch the water)
- .In the glass bowl – melt all of the dark chocolate and then stir in the coconut oil, butter and almond spread in the bowl – mixing it all together.
- Once that has melted add the liquid stevia and salt, mix well and take off the heat
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and pour the chocolate mixture in. Spread it out evenly using a silicone spatula
- While the chocolate is still hot and has not set – Scatter the toasted almonds and mix of toasted coconut flakes and un-toasted coconut flakes over the top and press gently with your hands so that everything is touching the chocolate.
- DONE! Let it set in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes
- once chocolate has cooled and gone hard – remove from fridge – smash the thin chocolate dessert into fairly large pieces (12) and serve cold.