Everyone says they miss pizza on the keto way of life and I have told you time and time again – pizza is not the be all and end all! BUT if you do want to fix those pizza cravings here is an amazing delicious recipe AND ITS NOT the Fathead Pizza recipe.. its simply made out of cauliflower, cheese and an egg! YEP thats all!
For the pizza base all you need is:
2 cups of grated cauliflower (I used a fresh one)
1 cup of grated cheese (a harder cheese is preferred like Parmesan to stop the base being to soft and moist) but I used shredded mozzarella as thats all I had in the fridge
1 x egg
Making the base:
- Pre-heat your oven to 200’c degrees
- Grate the cauliflower into little pieces until you get 2 cups worth
- in a frying pan on low heat throw the grated cauliflower into the pan to dry it out (you need to remove the moisture so the base is not soggy) I fried mine the the pan for 10 minutes. Do not cook the cauliflower or let is go brown just heat it up and stir it constantly so it dries out.
- in a mixing bowl add 1 cup of grated cheese and 1 egg and mix them together
- One the cauliflower has cooled add the 2 cups of cauliflower to the mixture and mix all ingredients together well – i also added some salt and pepper for taste.
- the ingredients should start to look like pizza dough, roll it into a big ball (or 2 small balls if you would like two little pizzas. Note: this one mixture will make a 20cm diameter in size round pizza.
- On baking paper on a oven try flatten the dough ball out with your hands (do not use a rolling pin as you want the outsides of the base a little higher than the inside.)
- Once the base has been flattened out evenly by hand you can now place the base in the oven for 10 minutes
- I like to really dry the base out and try to make it crunchy but as I had used mozzarella in this base after 10 minutes in the oven the base was still very soft so I took if off the baking paper and flipped the base over and put it on a new piece of baking paper and put it back in the oven for another 10 mins.
- NOTE: this base may stick to your baking paper thanks to the cheese, try and remove the paper off the base once out of the oven asap before it cools – other wise if the paper is suck to the base; stick the base in the fridge on its stuck baking paper for 3 minutes then quickly try and remove the paper once cheese has hardened. If you can buy a silicone baking tray… Im yet to get one.
- Now the base is cooked you can now top it with what every keto friendly toppings you like. I have used: 1 handful of mozzarella cheese, a handful of cooked chicken breast pieces, 1 handful of bacon sliced and 1 handful of baby spinach, with jalapeno hot sauce.
- Let it cooked for another 10 minutes at 200’c and then take out and enjoy!! It was delicious!
- As I’ve been eating this way of life now for almost 5 months I couldn’t really taste the cauliflower but my husband and kids could so they didnt really eat it. I think because they still eat carbs their taste buds were expecting a wheat taste. Oh well more for me!