An easy keto meal that everyone will enjoy! And I’ll tell you my tips on how to make the best crispy chicken skin! I was up at 5am making this meal, nothing like fun meal prepping! Thank you keto for this awesome energy! Video here.
5 minutes to prep
45 mins to cook
- Chicken drum sticks (how ever many you need to feed your army) – organic is always better for keto but not necessary if you’re on a budget
- Herbs & spices (I’ve used Himalayan salt and pepper, Masterfoods mild steak spice, and coles Italian herbs
- Pre-heat oven to 220’c
- Make sure the drumsticks are fresh not frozen, if you are using frozen ones thaw them out the night before.
- Lay all drumsticks our and start removing all moisture from them with a paper towel. **CRISPY SKIN TIP: for the best crispy skin dry out the chicken skin on the outside and under the skin on the drumstick with a paper towel, the dryer the skin the crisper it will be.
- Once the skin is dried well cut a knob of butter and stuff it under the chicken skin.
- Once all the chicken pieces have a small square of butter under the skin you can now coat the skin with your favourite herbs and spices. I have used keto favorites: Himalayan salt, cracked pepper, steak spice and Italian herbs mix.
- Rub the spices on each side, add a little extra salt for the crispy skin.
- In a baking tray line the bottom with foil this will collect the juices and fat that will drip from the chicken. (Do no throw meat liquids and fats away as they make amazing sauces!) Add a oven rack on top of the tray to sit the drumsticks on.
- Once the oven has pre-heated to 220’c place the tray in and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes flip drumsticks over to the other side to cook. Leave now for 25 minutes at 220’c.
- After 25 minutes your chicken will be cooked.
- Remove tray from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes, the skin will crisp up more in the cool air.
- Enjoy as a snack with your favourite keto sauces or have as a meal with a fresh salad or warm vegetables and butter.
The health benefits of chicken include its good supply of protein content, the supply of essential vitamins and minerals, benefits in losing weight, cholesterol control, blood pressure control, and a reduced risk of cancer. And its my favourite meat! This was a great quick and easy meal for anyone, even my kids couldn’t wait to eat them!
Click here to watch the video.
Until next time, Laura x